Please read the previous FAQs series also: Devops-practices-faqs-1
1. Who can become DevOps Engineer ?
In traditional projects [Non Agile practiced projects] ; Build Engineers, Sys Admins, Release Engineers can convert their career into DevOps Engineer role through an Agile practiced IT organization.
In Agile projects we might have seen Build or Deployment Engineers; they can convert into DevOps Engineer roles.
2. What a desired ‘DevOps Engineer role professional’ need to learn ?
If somebody would like to convert their role into DevOps Engineer; they need to understand the following :
- Agile and Scrum or Lean practices
- DevOps Principles, practices and patterns
- Deployment, SCM and Release management process
- Version control System tools [Ex: Git, SVN, etc..]
- Cloud setup and deployment [Ex: AWS, Azure,Google Cloud, Alibaba, etc..]
- Packaging process and tools [Ex: Maven, Gradle, etc.]
- Continuous Integration Tools [Ex: Jenkins, Teamcity, etc.]
- Software Configuration Management [SCM] tools [Ex: Ansible, Chef, Puppet, etc.]
- Containerization [Docker]
- Some of the scripting languages [Ex: Shell, Bash, python, Ruby, Nodejs, etc.]
- Windows, Linux OS commands and operations.
They can learn incrementally also depends on the project need. Note all projects will not use the unique tools. Depends on the IT organization plans, practices and the environments they decide on choosing the vendor based or open source tools.
Note: Some of the famous tools only it has been mentioned. Hence one need to identify the customer project environment and their DevOps architecture also. If one understands the Basic process in their 1st learning phase, later on they can pickup faster.
If you want to learn DevOps Practices, join the below group:
Following videos are made to elaborate on the need and advantages of thinking on conversion into DevOps Practices by IT Companies and the Professionals. Comparative reports have been incorporated.